I have the same problem. Having put to much into the build already, I went the poor mans route. I bolted the sniffer on a board, added a stainless steal hinge and bolted that to another board on the bottom of the rack. When the sniffer is in the up right position, there are two bolts that go through the bottom of the rack. I then use a washer and wing nut to tighten the sniffer in place. Where the sniffer folds back onto the rack, I have added some rubber feet that I had from something else and never used. For the beacon, I just have a pin holding it in place and I pull the pin and pop off the beacon. For the radar dome, I just made sure that when I mounted it, the dome would clear the garage door. That way I don’t have to worry about it. I have attached pictures to help you figure out what I said above.
That’s the same idea I have, but not as awesome looking as yours! Yeah, the radar dome, the sniffer, the finder are the ones that I’m working on to be removable, so I can put a tarp over the car without it sticking out looking like something’s sinister hiding under there… well… maybe close… rather tedious and humbug, but better to be safe than sorry when I’m driving into some level parking lot in Waikiki… hearing something go CRASH, BAM , BOOM, RRRIIIP right off of your Ecto’s roof would be like someone’s tearing your heart out. .
Did this ever happened to me? Not in an Ecto. Well… let’s just say when I worked for a Handi-van bus company and drove accidently into a shopping center with a low hanging ceiling many moons ago… not so bad, but enough to give the top a somewhat personal, unauthorized, custom body work…
Lessons learned straight up for the now wiser… :roll:
BTW: Jackdoud and t0dd: you mates racks are so the bomb! Cool, cool shots! :roland:
Super ideas guys . I was still thinking on the sniffer since its 6in schedule 40 on my nephews car to mount A regular 6 inch pvc 5 inches high to the rack then slide the schedule 40 over the other PVC then pin the two then remove pins pop it off when going in garage.
Did it back in 2010. I don’t have any really good videos of it ( crappy cellphone ones at best ) but this is old news.
This video shows 3/4 of the items working. The silver box tucks in on the side, the weather antennae comes down, and the dome slides down a track into the back. Not seen in this video, the car has since been updated to have a gun turret that raises from 12" to 18".
Video of roof at convention in 2010, the guns were working but now the silver box wasn’t. Problem has since been corrected and no newer videos of it have been taken yet.
There’s another video of it where the remote control “guns” can be seen working but it’s a 5 min video and you only see the guns for about 3 seconds so it’s not really worth posting IMHO.