Hi guys, I’m new here but I’ve been a lifelong GB fan. I’m also a huge lego fan and builder and I’m working on a street scene \ diorama containting the GB firehouse, ecto 1 and stay puff made from lego. It’s currently very early stages to be displayed at a local lego expo in October (2013).
What I need is some info or better yet some clear pictures about the firehouse, mainly the front garage doors, all the current photos of the 8 hook and ladder station have a new red door but I’d prefer to match the look (both colour and design) of the doors in Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters II.
So can anyone tell me what the colour of the doors are? depending on the photo to me they either look black or very dark brown. And if anyone has some photos of those doors where I can make out the details (windows, wood panelling etc) and colour easily it would be greatly appreciated.
Also here’s a picture of where the build is at currently, I’m waiting on parts before I can complete the rest.
It’s red in GB2 and the first, pre-renovation shot in GB1. I’ve always liked the look of the black firehouse. It really makes the sign pop. GB2 only shot in NYC for a little over a week, so I’m guessing the firehouse facade was left alone for time.
For the doors, I’ve always assumed they were an eggshell dark gray or black. Flat black probably wouldn’t have registered on camera all that well. Boomer, did you guys happen to get any good shots of the inside of the LA doors during the tour that might show the color?
You can see the arch surrounding the doors in the shot from the Ghostbusters II end credits (which is painted black) and there’s very little colour difference between it and the prop doors they installed at New York.
As for the paint on the doors in L.A., although the outside has been repainted a number of times, the inside side of the doors was still black when the SoCal Ghostbusters toured the station.
Cool, thanks guys. I did already start making the door in brown but I’ll change it to black.
The building is most definitely black\ dark brown after the GBs renovate the place but I think most people associate the red\brown with the building. Even myself who’s been a fan since I was a kid immediately thought it was red and it’s red in IDW’s comics (though I noticed in one panel they accidentally coloured the bottom segment red as well) and it’s also red in the videogame.
It wasn’t a matte shot, the facade of the building was actually junked up a bit for the shot. Here are two unused close-ups of the building from the GB shoot…
Interesting, that ties in with the photograph of Firestation #23 decked up with a replica facade of the ground floor of Hook & Ladder #8.
Looks like they were planning on having a shot of the Ghostbusters looking up at the building before entering, and when entering they’d show the engine bay in Los Angeles, convincingly pulling off the illusion that both Firehouses were the same structure.
Yeah, the shots also have a really weird composition and angle. I’m wondering if maybe the shots were scaled up in order to hide something so the material could be sold as stock footage. With the 35mm film, the resolution is there.
I forgot about the LA #23 with the NYC facade. I’d love to hear more about that.
No I’m just basing it off photos, I’m not doing an interior (not at first anyway) as the display is part of a larger street scene so there’s not much opportunity to show off the inside. I’d like to do an interior though as a long term plan.
I thought I’d share the custom ghostbusters lego minifigures I made a while back too, I have to redo venkmans face though as I printed it out a bit too large and it looks a little odd.
I could be dead wrong and this is probably going far beyond the info you need but I figured the larger double doors on the NY firehouse that are in the movie are fake to match the interior look of LA.
I’ve been inside both firehouses and the NY location is not even close to as deep as the LA firehouse.
Keep that in mind when looking for pictures of Hook & Ladder 8. Thats why you might not be finding anything but the drop down garage door.
When I last visited the LA Firehouse the doors were gray up to the window and then red on top. I’ll see if i can find a picture.