Holtzmann & Irlen Syndrome

I recently discovered that I was dyslexic which wasn’t too much of a surprise as my younger sister is extremely dyslexic and there is a high chance my mum is also (although she has never been tested). To help me with reading, both my sister and I use a lot of yellow paper and overlays (She also uses pink), so I was super happy that my Holtzmann cosplay meant I got to wear lots of yellow lenses!

After talking with one of the Welsh Ghostbusters about all of Holtzmann’s glasses and goggles, she had been wondering if Holtzmann potentially suffered from Irelen Syndrome. I hadn’t heard of it, but as it turns out my use of filters and reaction to certain lighting situations means it’s actually highly likely that that’s the reason why.

Holtzmann’s quirky personality, and use of specifically yellow lenses, easpecially when she’s working or outside are key indicators of the condition. Whilst it’s highly unlikely that this was an intentional character device, I do find it incredibly interesting (and possibly another reason as to why I connected to the character so quickly).

I’d love to know what other people’s thoughts are on the character (And the rest of the team), and if they have noticed anything that makes them identify with someone specifically. More importantly, I’d love to know if anyone else has Irlen Syndrome or, like me, uses filters and other methods to help with reading and writing / light sensitivity.

If you would like to know more about the condition you can visit: http://www.irlenuk.com (It’s a uk site but I’m sure there is a US equivilent). I think it would be awesome if a GB character can help raise awareness of a condition and lead to improving people’s lives :love:

EDIT: Sorry about the tons of edits. I try my best but I often miss a lot of spelling and grammar :S

Stupid dog meant I hit quote rather than edit. Sorry for the double post.

I have Irlen Syndrome and I thought the same thing the moment I saw the glasses!! (Mine are pink lmao). I currently just say ‘Oh I headcannon her as dyslexic’ as most people dont know what Irlen Syndrome is (and it does fall under dyslexic type so we’re not totally wrong in saying that)

Seeing this made me so happy that someone else has it too and headcannons her with irlen/ visual stress

I remember talking to someone right after I saw the movie for the first time, and someone I had invited was excited to talk to me about what they liked, and they said “I thought it was really cool that Holtzmann was obviously…” I assumed he was going to say “gay” or “bisexual” but instead he said “autistic” and I thought that was interesting.

As someone who is also dyslexic I don’t really think she is although Paul Feig is the man to ask. Holtzmann is more crazy than dyslexic and yes I know what you go through having to make sure what you type makes grammatical/spelling sense. You’re not alone mate. :slight_smile: