Just looking for some feedback on an error I’ve introduced unintentionally to my pack.
I had a machine shop fabricate the aluminum body of the ion arm according to the diagram in Stefan’s plans (plans which in general I think are awesome). His diagram calls for the body to have two clear bores for the copper rod, and a tapped hole for a barbed coupling.
In looking at various film used pack photos, I’ve come to realize that there shouldn’t be a tap for a fitting on the ion arm, but that it shoud be below on the pack body.
So, is this error common knowledge and I just never sniffed out the warnings? Or have other people been tripped up on this… or is this not actually an error, but instead is a legitimate variation on the fitting placement.
For myself I’ve decided to just use the tap I have on the ion arm, and connect my hose there instead of below where it should actually be (at least according to the photos).
GB1 the fitting is on the aluminum block, but it’s a square fitting that uses a 10-32 hole. GB2 the hex fitting was used and that is attached to the actual ion arm.
In GB1 the square clippard 90 was on the Ion arm cap next to the copper rod. In GB2 the hex clippard 90 was mounted to the Ion arm itself. It depends on which movie you are basing you pack on.
Just to be clear, yes it’s an error on the plan but not to the extent that you are making it. The plans are a general overview that were done years ago, which could stand to be updated again. Because of the multiple movies and redressing of the first movie packs and new packs being made for the second movie these variations came about. The fitting on the ion arm cap was one of these. The first movie’s packs had the fitting on the cap and the second movie had them on the arm body. At first the first movie part was thought to be the hex seen on the second movie props but an investigation turned out that it was the clippard square 90.