Let's See some Old School Packs!

I remember back in the early 2000’s when all we had was a few message boards, and Norm Gagnon’s Pack Plans. I walked through many, many hardware stores searching for any tiny little piece that would work for a Pack Part. Here is my pack circa 2000 - 2001:

Wooden Pack, Cake Pan Cyclotron, Only 1 Filler Tube, No Clippard, no HINT of wood putty at all, but I measured this and cut it all by hand. I was pretty proud of it at the time, even if I needn’t be. Here is a video of the pack at a Speech Meet my school hosted:

Rothco Uniform, Non dyed belt, accurate Radio Holster, No radio, just a wooden block painted black. No Corcorans, Generic boots. This WAS however, back when you could still get real Markwort Volleyball Knee Pads, so this was what I had in these pics:

Let’s see your “Vintage” stuff!

And I would LOVE to see some archived stuff from ASAP, and other GB forums! I found this the other day:

And it totally took me back! If anyone has any more pics like this, or if there is simply an archive of vintage packs I would LOVE to see it, and see how many I remember from the “Old Days!”

Here’s one iteration of my more fanciful proton pack from the mid-to-late 1980’s. You can see it’s sort of a hybrid of movie and cartoon.

’

The basic shape of it was a styrofoam packing case to a ceiling fan. The round portion at the bottom was for the motor housing, the square area at the top held the blades. It just screamed ‘proton pack’ when you saw it.

The suit was a grey Dickie’s jumpsuit.

Alex

Here is my first pack… Cardboard and duct tape…

oh yes we need more pictures

here is another duct tape and cardboard one from 2010

My original pack circa 2005: Yikes.

Awesome looking early packs, guys! Keep 'em coming! I love that they were all just so lovingly done. They might not look like they stepped off of the set, but they were constructed with love, and that’s what it’s all about. :slight_smile:

made out of wood and was very heavy, had lights but no sound…

This is supposedly a pack that was actually built by Norm back in the day. Not owned by me though.

I wonder if anyone else remembers Eraser99’s old site…

Sadly, none of those old photos still work. =/

1996 Version 1 Gear

1998 Version 2 Gear

Yea I knew there was a reason why I didn’t take pictures of my 1st pack. It was terrible.

Yes, lvillegb! I remember those pics! That is the stuff I am talking about!

And thank you, Shades! I LOVED Eraser99’s page! I was all over that thing! I wonder if anyone has any of those pics saved anywhere… That was the stuff I was looking for! Thank you for sharing!

Wish I had a copy of my first build -it was made in an afternoon from packing styrofoam, vacuum tubes and various knobs.

Here’s my second build done in 2008 -created using pink sheet foam (styrene) and found items. It was my first venture into prop building and, like a gateway drug, led to many more tries.

It was lighted using existing electronics ripped from some dollar store toys.

KCG

Here’s my Summer of 2000 pack. Yeesh!

We built four that looked pretty much just like this. Two have avoided the proverbial trash heap. Funny thing, non-fans still thought they looked amazing.

image

I don’t really have any good pics of my old school one.

It looked like ■■■■ and was heavy as hell but it was built solid and lasted through 5 years of use before being modded and then finally given away.

Built two of these in about a month out of foam board, MDF and various ■■■■ from Home Depot. While Ghostheads scoffed, “normal” people thought they were amazing.

1 Like

I know Iville’s stuff was on there! I remember drooling over them back in 98 or 99. I always remember that site when it comes to the old prop replicas people made. Anyone know where Eraser99 is now?

Shades,

Couple classics here…

Anyone else remember the Mid Tennessee Ghostbusters? How about the Fort Wayne Ghostbusters?

Once upon a time, the great and all powerful “Burkit” built a Norm Gagnon pack. It lasted through that year’s Halloween, and fell apart shortly after.

Ugh, pretty much everything that could be wrong, is wrong with that sucker. . . may it rest in peace(s).