My Firehouse Bell and WIRELESS Button

Well, I finally got it done. It’s a 12" Faraday Enclosed Type, original movement, solid brass gong, patented 1907. It took a few weeks of part time tinkering to get it cleaned up and working. I made the new coil cover using 1/8" R/C aircraft grade birch plywood. This cover replaces the OEM cover and screws directly into the threaded holes on the bell frame.

I know this bell is too big, but it was the right price with the right “look”, so I ran with it.

The 315 Mhz receiver is mounted to the inside of the coil cover using a “pillow” of RTV silicone adhesive.

The metal face cover had to be omitted due to interference with the radio signal.

Bell pics: GB Firehouse Bell | Flickr

I then began assembling the button using a Square-D 9001 TR-55 button with the half guard. After carefully removing the half guard it was mounted to a Grant #5894 Signature series automotive horn button. I machined an aluminum base plate to lock into the 3 detents on the horn button.

After purchasing the single channel 315 Mhz key fob-style Tx/Rx set on eBay, I gutted the components and mounted the Tx pcb with the button centered on the base plate. The PCB button only has about .020 travel, do I fabricated a light spring loaded device to absorb any excess travel from the Square-D button and prevent damage to the pcb. There is also a layer of 1/8" silicone foam rubber under the pcb to support it.

The 9.37" antenna wire had to be routed outside the horn cover to maximize the transmission range, but it’s a pretty small coil and not noticeable is you keep around the back.

Once the components were in place, I snapped the pushbutton / horn cover assembly onto the base plate.

Button pics: Janine's Button | Flickr

And waddayaknow - it WORKS !

How bout some video of it in action? Looks great, awesome work!

Thanks. I’ll see what I can do about the video request.

WOW !!!

That’s kool as hell … love it’s wireless …

We had a table last year at SDCC and the freman (union) movers had to move all my Gb props into SDCC and they ran over the button for my bell …

Yikes! Was it totally destroyed? Or were you able to repair it?

Your button was one of the inspirations for mine. I hate to hear it got messed up.

Alex

crushed the chrome housing and busted the switch ..but didnt get the red buttion … so its a rebuild …