You know it seems like everyone has these assumptions about me I’m this and that, I have no social skills. Maybe It’s time I tell you my side of the story, the whole thing from the beginning. Maybe then you can really understand how it came down to this.
I came here with such great expectations, A Ghostbusters fan site, and the Largest one at that. I started small, posting comments in The Ghostbusters 3 and other sections. I find prop building sections fascinating, even inspiring. So I began planning my own props. I asked questions. If these questions were so repetitive and asked by fans before me then really there should be a FAQ page. Maybe in a spot I’ll see every time I come here, maybe next to the log in link or something like that. Anyway I got some help which I was thankful and With the materials and time at my disposal I put a few props together. Crude, not accurate but I was willing to learn more. I posted pics, while some comment on some prop items, others were completely ignored. Disappointing, but understandable considering the majority of those posting pictures of their work were pro builders. My job prevented me from continuing my hobby so I was not as active here for several months, though I did check in from time to time for news on GB3 and site news in general.
Fast forward to some time to January. I begin researching Proton Pack builds, I wanted to make something better than my first pack Now that I had the time to do it. I downloaded all the plans I could find and having learned a few things from my first attempt I began my second attempt. Again I asked questions, like anyone would. This is were the So Called Bad Karma began. The responses I received were in my interpretation were intended to be insulting, but when I was informed that it was only in jest and no real malaise was intended I was fine with that and let it go. When I had something together I thought I’d post something to see if I could get any more helpful.
This is were things began to take a drastic turn for the worst.
A few days past and nothing. Assuming this was simply a repeat of the first project pictures I expressed my concern. Maybe I was impatient but I assumed that if this was the largest Fan website someone would’ve made a comment in two days. If I hadn’t “Complained” as it was put odds are it probably would’ve been ignored. As it was Two members did finally comment. One with genuine intentions, the other far more forceful. Without giving me any reasons why (other than it would be cheaper in the long run) they suggest a vacuum shell, I was disappointed at first, but after thinking it over I agreed it was a better choice to go with. At this point I was still feeling very positive about being here. So I figured since I can’t get the shell until late spring I can at least buy parts. It was suggested I check out the Fan shop.
Now the shit really hits the fan.
I go check it out, much to my dismay most of the parts were and still are out of stock. So I start a thread asking where else I could buy parts while I’m waiting for the Fan shop to be restocked. Nothing wrong there. I even used the search engine to make absolutely sure no one had posted a similar thread. I was given some suggestions and links to other sights which I was thankful, checked out used, and have bought parts from. Everything was running smoothly until someone posted a rant assuming that I had ignored his advice he gave me over in my build thread. I still don’t know how he came to that conclusion because I was just looking for parts. I lost my temper and this member’s friends came to his defense and painted me as the bad guy. THIS is were a lot of the Bad Karma came from. I still think this is abused. Granted I could’ve handled the situation better. Despite my attempts to explain myself and fix the situation though it just snowballed to the point where the thread had to be locked, by AJ. But by then my original question was hidden and from this time one I’m branded a trouble maker.
Some time later I come across a thread about the abuse of the Karma feature, I use what happened to me as an example, no one was interested in listening. I get comments like grow a thicker skin.
So I moved on, I tried to start over. I avoided posting build pics and aside from a few questions to pack builders I avoided the prop building sections all together and tried other sections of the forums like fan art. More than anything Trying to keep a low profile. Now I did post something in the wanted section (Used the search engine first), again I was given helpful suggestions but none of them were of any used to me. I’ll give you an example, I asked about building materials I was told I could find what I was looking for at home depot. fair enough except I don’t live anywhere near a home depot. Naturally I’m going to ask for a different answer. I didn’t get upset as some of you claim I did.
But things hit the wall when I posted my thread in the Extreme Ghostbusters section. I was hoping for a nice discussion and what happened? My words were twisted around (Replacing someone in a wheelchair with a woman) and everyone followed suit. I didn’t appreciate that at all, I might have tried to move on, but it’s clear to me that no one else has. I’m still branded a bad member. Is that still my Fault? I don’t know anymore. I didn’ t force those who commented to twist my words around. That was their choice, I don’t share their sense of humor. I don’t like being the brunt of a joke.
Which leads to this thread. lunchbox739, you mentioned why I care if I fit in, I thought that was the desire of a lot of members here. But apparently that’s not the case. You suggest I take a few days off from this place. I dont know how thatll help, well well see. I still think Im better of just lurking. Safer that way.