New Guy, Starting a new pack!

So i’ve been a ghostbuster fan my whole life and been to this site off and on for years, and now i’ve decided to build a pack in my spare time at the old FD. So the first thing I need to know is:

Should i go with a parts pack like in Norm’s plans, or a shell pack?

And if a shell, who has the best, most affordable one?

Guys I’d really love your input! and i’m hoping to keep this thread goin on to the packs completion!

Welcome, Killa! This place is a wealth of knowledge, and some right lads here that’ll get you moving in the proper direction. :wink:

Hey buddy! If your on a budget I would suggest using Norms plans and cutting the motherboard from a sturdy wood and making most everything else out of something cheap (I used cardboard from boxes I got at Kroger because you can get those for free). once you have your base shape out of cheap stuff you wont feel as bad purchasing nicer detail parts.

I never did a kit pack…but I am thinking about doing one to have a screen accurate, working lights and sound pack and turning my other pack into a gamestyle pack…

Anyhoo good luck buddy and hope this helped!

go for a fiberglass shell mate it cuts out absolutely loads of work and its worth it in the long run

check out my recent build using a fiberglass shell

Man that shell looks really goos slimeme, where did you get it. I’ve seen some others but that one looks the best to me so far. Oh, and how much did you end up paying for it?

well i got the shell from sevv on these very forums hes a seller from london, united kingdom,

are you from usa? or uk? or elsewhere? if ur usa then go for exorays shell if ur from uk get sevvs its quality

all in all it cost me around £500 to £600 to build thats around $900

the shell itself was £350

Oh wow, no wonder it looked so good! Well I’ve got a quite smaller budget than that so i think, at least for this first build, i’m gonna try a parts pack and see if i can get a nice one out of it.

Check out my Dollor Store instructions to get your started (see links below).

All right guys, heres the first of the progress.

im very happy with the motherboard

but not so much on the eda and power cell, i may start over on those.

and if you look here you can see some wood grain, now i used a spray primer, but it didn’t work as well as i’d hoped. Any thoughts? Maybe a coat of kilz is all i can think

Let me know what ya think!

Latex house paint.

as a base? or a top coat?

Hammered paint? It adds texture, but a metal texture. Not sure how well it will work on a wood surface.

yeah, Gesso or latex house paint or sand the crap out of the plywood. I had a big gap in my powercell and used Canson board (heavy smooth cardboard used for presentations) and used and Xacto knife to cut the opening and glued it over the power box. If you want sturdy, save your $$$ and get fiberglass (see For Sale section). You already started from scratch. I used ALL the plans to build my Year 2000 pack:

and it’s made of everything not nailed down. Mine isn’t for cons/events (I don’t get out much LOL) just for show.

Are you going to do the wand from scratch??

No, im gonna go for fiberglass on the wand, and on some parts on the pack too actually. like the cyclotron band and HGA.