I’ve never seen this picture before, any idea who played the park ranger?
https://ghostbustersinc.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/raywinstonparkranger.jpg
I’ve never seen this picture before, any idea who played the park ranger?
https://ghostbustersinc.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/raywinstonparkranger.jpg
In 2011, shortly after I got back into Ghostbusters fandom, I theorized that it reminded me of actor John Voldstad, best known as one of the Darryls on Newhart, but most importantly, a veteran of the movie Stripes for Reitman.
The shape of his brow was about the only thing that made John V. pop to mind as a possible contender.
I tracked down Mr. Voldstad on Facebook and sent him a message, asking if by any chance he shot a scene for Ghostbusters that wound up on the cutting room floor.
He replied that he had, and asked if I had worked on the film, because he assumed that was the only way I could have known.
I said no, I just thought the black-and-white photo from the book Making Ghostbusters looked like him. I sent him a scan and he thanked me for providing it, because he’d never had any proof to show people that he’d been in the film.
I shared this information in these forums, but it led to a rather disappointing conversation where someone basically said I had either made the whole thing up or I had mistakenly spoken to a John Voldstad impersonator-- because there’s so many of those, right?-- who was pulling my leg.
Someone suggested seeking corroboration from either Dan or Ernie. I carried a printout of the b/w photo with me to a convention in Birmingham AL in 2013 and asked Ernie Hudson, but he said it had been too many years to recall who the actor was, and I didn’t dare provide the name ‘John Voldstad’ for fear I’d be accused of tainting the results. So I just thanked Ernie for his time and put the photo away.
I later met Dan Aykroyd in Jackson MS in early 2014, and carried the photo with me, but they were keeping the line moving-- since it wrapped around five or six buildings-- and he’d already turned his attention to the next person behind me before I thought to get it out of my son’s knapsack. (My son had already stepped to the ‘exit’ aisle while I was having a one-sheet signed, meaning we would have had to break in front of someone to get back around to Dan, so I just let it go. Maybe next time I get to meet Dan, shrug.)
Alas, at the moment we’ve really only got John Voldstad’s word, via my word.
Alex
Wow, Alex. I never really put much thought to who that actor was. I was just about to make a smart remark about you recognizing the actor by the side of his head but then I realized I recognized Dan Aykroyd in some cameo by his eyes and nose… ![]()
Anyway, :crunch: you’ve earned it.
I’m a John Voldstad impersonator in Vegas on the weekends.