Deleted "Fort Detmerring" scene - that IS John Voldstad!

Flipping through the book Making Ghostbusters by Don Shay again today, having uncrated it yesterday along with several other GB-related tomes of mine.

And I am struck again by a mere suspicion of mine…

Does anyone besides me think that the actor at right, as the Fort Detmerring park ranger, might be John Voldstad?

Best known as Darryl #2 on Newhart, he WAS in Stripes as Stillman’s Aide, so he does have a history with Reitman, Murray, Ramis.

I’m trying to find a good profile shot of him from the Stripes era, so I can compare.

Alex

Good eye,you could be right :wink:

is there any video of this scene?

Nope

Just the “dream sequence” added to the montage.

Interesting that Winston’s tube doesn’t “connect” to the back…it just hangs there on the velcro straps.

That’s pretty much what they did with all the belts, it was the fans who introduced a belt fob for it.

Any chance of scanning/uploading some more pictures from the book?

Of this scene? There’s only one other pic from it.

But let me know what you’re looking for and I’ll see what I can do.

Alex

I assume you mean the car shot? There are also two pictures of Ray wearing the uniform in the Making of Ghostbusters book.

Anything that’s not already in the “Press Photos I’d Love to See More of”" thread would be greatly appreciated by everyone on the forums.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18627

Ah, I worded that ambiguously, I suppose. I tend to think of ‘scenes’ in a movie being dictated by the location in which they occur, as many scripts are broken into scenes whenever the setting (i.e. time and/or location) changes.

By ‘this scene’ I specifically meant the exterior sequence as they arrive at the Fort. Since the topic of this thread is about the actor playing the park ranger when they pull up, I was trying to keep things germane.

As you point out, though, there are also two pics of an interior Fort Detmerring shoot with just Stantz, which were shot on a soundstage, probably on a completely different day when Ernie Hudson wasn’t even on the call sheet.

Anyway, here are all four of the Fort Detmerring photos in the order they appear in the book, with Don Shay’s original captions. And let’s face it, about 95% of the Ghostbusters trivia we know comes from him originally, so let’s not cut him out of the loop!


pg. 130:

In a scene deleted from the final film, the Ectomobile arrives at Fort Detmerring – a standing set at the Columbia Ranch, dressed rather simply with an identifying sign and a guard shack.

A park ranger briefs Stantz and Zeddemore on reports of strange sightings within the old fort.

pg. 135:

Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd discuss an upcoming shot in the truncated Fort Detmerring sequence, filmed on a small set adjacent to Dana’s apartment on Stage 12.

On stake-out within the reportedly haunted officers’ quarters, Stantz finds and dresses himself in period attire, then strikes a few gallant poses for the mirror before succumbing to exhaustion and falling asleep.


On pg. 137, it talks about the decision to cut the subplot of Stantz getting a girlfriend who’s ‘been dead for a hundred years’. When Reitman later decided to move just the punchline into the montage as a dream sequence, they only had to finish the compositing on the floating ghost-woman element (■■■■■■■ centerfold Kym Herrin) and shoot the insert of the pants unbuckling themselves, which was a mechanical rig that had already been built.

The button on the scene, if it had stayed in its intended place, would have been Winston coming to the door of the officers’ barracks, hearing voices within, and asking if Stantz is okay, only to hear a shout of “LATER, MAN!”


Note to self… watch Stripes for all scenes of “Stillman’s aide” and try to catch a frame of him looking left profile.

Alex

I’ve often wondered how much of this scene still exists enough for it to be included one day on a really special edition 30th Anniversary release.

Special edition 30th Anniversary release now ya talking :slight_smile:

Okay, I dug out Stripes today and took a photo of John Voldstad’s character in profile. The angle doesn’t quite line up perfectly, but it’s very encouraging as far as facial features lining up.

image

Anyone else think this looks like a match?

Alex

To me he looks more like Dan Frischman.

image

The Ghostbusters Storybook by Ann Digsby has two images from the Fort Detmerring deleted scene, too, on page 23 and a two page spread on 34-35.

Ooh, thanks for the tip about the book. I don’t think I have that one, so I ordered a copy from eBay last night.

As for Frischman, oddly enough when I went to his imdb page to see how old he would have been in 1984, it has a link to a full episode of Newhart on which he guest-starred as a mortician in the 80’s… and the thumbnail shows Larry, Darryl and Darryl.

Weird.

Facially, I don’t really see it as Frischman. And the body shape and height are contributing factors.

I did however, once spot Frischman in the audience of a standup comic’s routine on television. It was an older clip, filmed before Head of the Class came out, so to see it on a rerun years later and spot ‘Arvid’ laughing on the front row was neat.

Alex

You’re welcome. Happened to be working on an article for the book at the time. Have to agree, all these photos does make me hungry for a more packed special edition with the remnants of this scene and others.

from sony’s facebook page:

image