Re-painted Matty Goggles

I did this some time ago & kinda forgot about it, so here it is. After seeing first hand what all the fuss was about regarding the paint application on the goggles, I agreed, it sucked! I wanted to paint it but didn’t want to risk ruining them, so I used some Plasti-Dip instead of regular spray paint. Here’s the process:

First, I took everything apart,everything!

& found out that I might be able to eventually replace those lens type things with some spare glasses I have lying around, so I can use them and actually SEE!

Taped everything up. I used the strap as a handle for the paint job!

1st coat…

2nd coat…

3rd coat…

Plasti-Dip dries fairly fast, but I decided to leave it be for a while so I wouldn’t mess anything up. While I did that, I decided to paint the lenses also! They looked too “plasticly”. So I taped them up I got my black plasti-dip can & went to work.

While the lenses dried, I brought the main body inside to start removing the tape.

Ok, those of you not familiar with plasti-dip must be thinking, “this idiot forgot to tape the knobs!”

That’s the good thing about the dip, make a mistake, just make a little hole…

…just enough to get a handle on it…

…and just peel it off!

& voilà! Clean paint job!

(good idea if you want to make a pair of pink goggles for the wife/gf for halloween! Paint, showoff, peel, & back to normal!)

Peeled the paint off the knobs & buttons, de-taped the lenses, & put everything back together, and here it is!

With flash

Printed some labels on some label paper I had lying around for some mock-up pics.

I think they look better!

Planning on trying out the lens/glassed lens replacement I mentioned earlier, I’ll start a different topic with that project whenever I get around to it.

Quite the improvement!

Will you be considering adding an extension to the fully black lense so that it’s more correctly proportioned?

Extension? I’d like to give that a try… suggestions on how to do it, Kingpin?

Where did you buy the plastidip? What color shade did you use?

Off the top of my head…

Maybe some PVC, acrylic or lightweight aluminium tube cut to a more accurate length… and should the interior diameter be a little larger than the outer diameter of the existing end of the lense, maybe a rubber washer/grommet or some masking tape could be used to build up the thickness of the pre-existing lense… and allow you to keep the extending piece in place with a friction hold.

I hope that makes sense.

It does, thanks, will look into it…

It’s Olive Drab I belive. I bought it at a Auto Accessories shop. I’ll post a pic of the can once I get home.

added to my project list lol

This is exactly the post I was looking for! Did you do do the lens extension/replacement?

Nah, just the paint & decals