As I have had issue after issue with various amps that i’ve bought in the UK I’ve finally given up on the idea. I was hoping that anyone reading this may have used an ipod/aux dock as an amp. I would have thought that they would be the best option having been built to accept audio inputs from powered devices.
Though I am worried it may not be as I think it should be and fry my poor sound board. This close to Halloween I can’t risk blowing it out..
I have messaged Crix about this but extra opinions always help :3 so if anyone has used portable speakers or aux in docks as sound amps please let me know if it works?
Im in the uk and I’m having exactly the same problem at the moment, I’ve tried the 12v amp + speaker combo and it sounds like crap
So I’ve resigned myself to using some battery powered speakers I have as I get little or no distortion with them
The crix kit is obviously very well thought out and well made , but I find it frustrating that it comes with no instruction . Perhaps it would be better if they could have a suggested amp/speaker setup as I’m sure people would buy it, everyone seems to have this same problem with the sound kit
Agreed. a good kit and good for those that aren’t too happy with a soldering iron but us poor buggers in the UK don’t seem to have many options for powered device amp boards XD Well if you have had a success then I guess it’s worth a try! Thanks Tobot!
If it works I think a tutorial on the subject will have to be made xp
Im on my phone and cant post a link to the thread . .But look up Spongeface sound/distortion fix board . . .These are designed to work as a preamp for the sound chip . . And if that wasnt enough it also provides the 3 volts needed to power the chip. . The pre amp portion of the board cuts the signal down to a line in voltage that the amplifers can handle eliminating the distortion . . . IF curious I have a canakit 20 watt Mono amp pushing an 4 ohm MB Quart 6.5 . .
The chip is what allows you to use just about any amp you want . . The kit amp that Crix uses in his demo will take the line in voltage that his chip produces. .FYI
Ahhhh I’ve heard of these but wasn’t sure on if it would work. Will have to order one and find out. Though for Halloween I may have to stick with a torn up iPod dock xp
Im no electrician but you souldnt have too much worry about blowing out your sound card. If you hook it up right it issound out from the unamplified card, to the amp that amplifys it and sends it to the speaker. No where in there should it be sending anything back to the card and frying it. Im pretty sure ive seen people run their packs off car subs with subwoofers and everything. There is no more chance of frying it then you would frying your ipod hooking it up to a home or car stereo.