Vacuum Degassing

Anybody know where I can find an inexpensive vacuum degasser? I’m not looking for terribly large volume, somewhere in the vicinity of 1/2 to 1 gallon.

I suppose I could build one. I wonder how many bars I’d have to have in order for it to be effective.

What are you degassing? If you’re talking about silicone you usually need around 25-30 inHg

There are plenty of online tutorials for making your own degasing chamber out of some acryilic tube and sealant.

Yeah, mostly platinum-cure silicone, maybe some light urethane resins. I founds some good tutorials after I posted that, so we’ll see what happens.

Honestly, unless you’re doing something that requires insane detail, using a brush to stipple an impression coat and/or pouring the material from a height in a thin stream, degassing chambers are just a nice-to-have.

I tend to agree. After seeing the results of degassing, I realized I was making a fake proton pack, not heart valves.

I’ve been able to pick up fingerprints in silicon just by pouring it correctly, with no degassing.