Venkman's GB Movie Suit

Does anyone know why Bill Murray seemed to never tuck in his suit to his boots in the movies? Just wondering…maybe goes in line with his character in the movie…

I always thought that he never tucked his suit into his boots because his character was kinda lazy.

I was thinking that Bill Murray mighta had a problem with the boots and just wore shoes instead.

I have to agree with the good doctor here. He’s always portrayed as an easy going person that likes to put forth as little effort as needed (unless it has to do with Dana). He has the, why do something thats not important frame of mind. he’s wearing the boots and the flight suit so why tuck its just an extra step thats not need or why study? you only need to pass and you don’t have to study for that! “Gozer worshipers, see no studying” :lol:

It also made him appear to be taller on screen compaired to Harold and Dan.

I read an (admittedly unsubstantiated) idea which suggested the untucked pantlegs was done to make Murray look taller compared to his costars.

Yeah, I can see both the laziness of the character and the thing about appearing taller. REALLY would like to see a third GB movie soon. Hope that the original cast is all in there, if it does make it to production. I’ve been watching GB1 several times lately to “get into character” for the “big H” next week. Gotta say that Halloween is my favorite holiday…

Hate to be a killjoy here, but…Halloween isn’t next week. :stuck_out_tongue:

Unsubstantiated or not, but it’s done commonly on stage and in movies/tv productions…which gives it some validation, no?

maybe he had the same problem I did, I couldn’t zip the boots up with the pant leg tucked in, but it came to the right height (ankle length) untucked and I could then zip the boots all the way up…although the Venkman laziness does seem more likely

I need to watch the movie again for verification, but it always seemed to me that he had the pant legs cuffed, lending to the I’m-cooler-than-all-y’all air the character had.

Oh yeah, definately. I buy into the idea, but being a Wiki editor these days then force you to say stuff like ‘unsubstantiaed’…

Practically, anyway.

That should be pretty easy to solve. Zip your boots, then untie them. Tuck in your pants legs, and then tie them. Now you should be able to zip em up or down with no trouble. It’ll give you the extra room you need, and then they’ll still be the same next time you want to wear em. You’ll prolly need to tighten em back up to wear em w/o your trousers bloused. I know this b/c I’m an ROTC cadet, and have to do it once a week or so.

I have to say that being in the navy, we’re trained fire fighters, and so whenever there’s a fire, we’re taught to tuck our pantlegs in our boots, too keep from hot debri, as well as heat to enter through the pant legs, I dont see any purpose, minus just looking cool i guess, why the men in gray tucked there legs in there boots… Unless they were afraid that ectoplasmic residue would crawl up there legs…

just food for thought.

I always found tucking my BDUs into my boots to make it more uncomfortable…but comfort was never the point. In costume, I would leave it untucked, because it would feel better. At least in ghostbuster context, tucking has little practical value.

“So that’s one tuck…one no tuck.” :lol:

-Zack

I always figured it was just Murray’s I don’t want to look un cool attitude. The same reason Murray doesn’t appear with much marshmollow on him at the end of the movie.

Right, I agree with ecto_skywalker. It all has to do with character. Look at Egon- he’s a very “by-the-book,” you have to prove it to me kind of guy. Hence, he wants to look tidy. And Stantz, he’s also very tidy, and he’s very much into the military type of look, and they tuck their fatigues into their boots. So, naturally, you have to have one “slob” and that Venky! :lol:

The reason why Bill Murray wasn’t covered with shaving cream (marshmallow) at the end has nothing to do with his coolness factor. He’s actually allergic to it, and what little he had on made him break out in a rash.

Wow…Thats sad i actually knew where that quote was from.