If a Third Movie isn’t gunna happen any time soon as it’s been like this for over 20 years, why not bring it to the small screen?
I for one thinks this would be a great idea and can touch on a wider story line. The walking dead, Falling skies, supernatural etc are making money and are popular. Even Marvel are joining in with Agents of Shield lol. These are hits and i can’t think of any reason why Ghostbusters can’t do the same with a great production team behind it. With this we can see more about our heroes and the lives they live, more indepth and more BUSTIN! We could start from the very beginning and see the company grow and more investigations that could lead through the seasons to finish with the arrival of Gozer. Gozer to me was a more original villain and prob what we like about the first film. By doing a TV show we can keep venkman, stantz, spengler and zeddemore but replace the actors, this would be more accepting to us than seeing a new film with newer characters that we prob will not come to love. But a Third film would be nice.
What do you guys think? Ofcourse it would have to be made AMAZING and not cheap with buffy and charmed style effects lol
Maybe all us fans could start up a petition to try get something like this made?
I can dig it! For the writing I would love to see Joss Whedon’s name. (I’m not a Buffy fan boy, but from what I can recall, that show is over 10 years old and the effects at the time were good.) he has written and directed some really great stuff since too, Firefly, Dollhouse wasn’t bad, and let’s not forget that little small success of The Avengers… (I thought for sure Disney would have gone to him for the new Star Wars).
A lot of shows are darker and grittier now a days and I would like to see a dark ghostbusters show. Of course there would be the humour as well but let’s not forget they are dealing with spooks, spectres, and goblins.
They could split up the season in half like they have been with a lot of new shows, as much as I hate that, but that way they could have more time to work on the special effects that would be required.
Question for all, would you want to see unknown actors in the roles or bring in well know actors?
I just think it’d fall into nothing as far as ratings.
Ghostbusters are awesome and I love the franchise but to see it on a network would mean it wouldn’t be so much about care but more about whether or not the ratings are high enough to justify it beyond one season. It just would be a continuation of a consistently painful development for Ghostbusters after the past few years.
A show would be great if they pulled it off though. I for one wouldn’t mind seeing something like an investigation into a bigger ghost that spans over the course of a season. Individual cases that all tie together into something bigger like a larger entity trying to gain passage to this plane.
The idea of having any known actors in it though would be hard to accomplish. I wouldn’t mind seeing maybe one established actor with a cast of relative unknowns. Then they don’t have any kind of expectations put on them like comparing them to their respective counterparts. Just let them start off fresh.
Ratings are a pain lol but i think the genre is a popular genre and with the franchise being popular/ well know to our generation it prob do well (If Sony makes the effort with it) I also think a darker ghostbusters would be nice, imagine an episode paying homage to the real ghostbusters episode with the boogie man! If done right it would be some scary stuff lol. Defo needs to have all the episodes tied in to one big outcome. It would also have to drop the montages!
Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson could star (They’ve done TV before. It’s not beneath them.) and maybe have a guest appearance from Harold Ramis here and there.
Have the focus on a new team and a new threat. No winks and nods to the original films.
A show following the storyline of the IDW comics would work. They could easily get a few seasons out of the arcs they already have. Plus you get the old and the new GBs.
Actually I brought this up a year or so ago after the comic became a hit. But I said a cartoon instead of live action mostly because I want the comic team to spearhead it.
I think a live-action TV show based around the Ghostbusters mythos could totally work. So long as it’d be a beast of its own nature - that is to say not just a rehash of the original film - I think it could stand on its own once it found its legs. Base it around a new franchise located in a new city and their on-going shenanigans due to the trials of having their own Ghostbusting business. You can have a ‘Ghost of the Week’ as well as over-arcing villains, both supernatural and plain world jerks. As long as the characters are interesting and develop and grow, it could work.
Then you always have the easy ratings-grab of having one or more of the original GBs showing up every now and then. Would be great if the events of the show even lead into something that takes place in the third film if it’s ever made.
If fans can make their own live-action incarnations that are fun and well-made and engaging on shoestring budgets, a bigger studio should be able to do so easily. As long as its focus is the characters and not trying too hard to hit the same beats we’ve already seen in the films, I think it’d succeed really well.
i never understood why people always want a “darker” Ghostbusters, we already tried that it was called XGB. To me, GB is fine the way it is, as a comedy with spooky elements. Adding " drama" or “dark” elements just sounds out of tune with what GB is. Adding drama just seems odd, GB with soap opera elements is just a bad idea. how seriously are you gonna take a show about guys driving around in a goofy ambulance, shooting ghosts with lasers? The films were dark in places, but that was only to impose the threat and scariness of the villians. If there were a modernized GB show for primetime, it believe it should be more along the lines of an Always Sunny or Curb your Enthusiasm with ghosts and demons.
I could see them going the single camera mockumentary route like The Office or Modern Family. The camera crew could follow the team on busts, and cut to “interview” segments with each of the team members.
I always thought Ghostbusters could lend itself well to a live tv series. It would be a good way to be able to introduce a new group of Ghostbusters in a more excepting environment if/when need be.
I could see it more along the lines of shows like Eureka or Warehouse 13. In fact I think some of the cast from those shows would translate well as a cast for a Ghostbusters tv show. Specifically Allison Scagliotti and Neil Grayston. I could seem them as Ghostbusters in a tv series, and they already have proven to have on camera chemistry.
Personally like others, I would enjoy a TV series. Does it have to be the original guys blasting ghosts? Nah it doesn’t have to be. It can be a whole new team taking on which ever city they prefer to set up shop in. Just seeing them on the screen again with a new twist would be awesome in my books. As a few members have stated you could even have cameos by some of the former cast members to boost up ratings from time to time. Who knows after awhile if the series got popular enough it could lead or tie into a new movie that would recruit cast and crew from the previous movies and we could maybe have a damn third film.
I would take this even one step further and say a tv series would be the perfect way to introduce a new crew of Ghostbusters. It would give the fans the chance to adjust and and get to know a new group and at the same time bring in a new base.
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t want to see Samhain in live action. It just has campy Super Mario movie style kind of trouble waiting for it if you ask me.
The original ghostbusters would have to be recast though. They’d be too old. If they recast, I would hope that the new actors would put their own take on the characters and not just imitate.
At first, the idea of a live action TV show didn’t really appeal to me at all. But actually, I really like this idea. I think Ray and Winston could hold their own in a show with some fresh faces in the mix. You could have a fresh dynamic, while remaining true to the original concept and story. I think this would be a great way to go about reinvigorating the GB franchise. And you never know–if the show is done well enough, with good story and development, Bill might commit to an episode or two, as well. He’d be able to see what he was getting into before he committed to anything.