Would I be able to dye it?

So Igot myself 2 hole pistol belt with a plastic pinch buckle and didn’t even think about the color, idiot me. It’s olive green and I was thinking maybe bleaching it and dyeing it to look gb1. My question has anyone tried this and what kind of recipe would work the best or should I just buy a new one? This is going to be my first attempt to start getting a gb outfit going, I have a rothco but have to dye that as well. Thank you to anyone that can help.

Id say that your gonna be better off just getting another. Ive not heard of anybody bleaching and re dying a pistol belt with any luck. Plus I think the bleach will rust the metal around the holes as well.

I color strip and dye pistol belts all the time for TOS Battlestar Galactica costuming. Get some Rit Color Remover and do it on the stove top. Be patient and dunk the belt repeatedly. It should come out to a slightly uneven tan look once you’re done. I’d let it dry and repeat the process if you think you can get more color out.

When you go to dye it the color you want, (I used black) start with the dry belt, wet it, and when you go to put it in the dye bath, just dunk it really quick and get it out of there. Wash the excess dye out and redo it if you want it to be a bit darker but it shouldn’t take much at all.

If you have the heavier OD green belt, it might be nice. Some of the pistol belts I’ve used for my GB stuff have been damn thin.

I have dyed a khaki belt to make it grey, there was a little bit of rusting but I think it made the belt look cooler. However I was dying elbow pads as well. I wouldn’t buy the dye just for the belt, I would buy a new belt (it’s about the same price). But since you’re dying the rothco anyway I would say go for it! But it’s your call.

You can’t dye a Rothco suit because its made mostly of synthetic materials that won’t take to the dye. You’re better off leaving it go or buying a Tru-Spec or Nomex suit.

I dyed My Rothco suit just fine. I’ve heard that it is the Tru-specs that don’t take to dye well

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

Along with Nomex not taking dye either

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

I had issues dying my old Rothco to the point it was just a terrible mess and I had to get rid of it, but when I bleach and dyed my Tru-Spec for my GB2 suit it went easy and quick.

Hmm, weird. Maybe I got lucky and My Rothco suit was made out of the older fabrics or something. I know that usually with the Tru - specs and Nomex ones, the bleach can strip the fabric’s protective coating, allowing it to take the dye a lot better. I may try that with My new uniform I got last week

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

I’ve never dyed a Nomex so you may be right in that aspect and yes the bleaching does do damage to the material on the Tru-Spec suits, which is why they turn out loser when you do a GB2 suit but like I said I couldn’t get my rothco to take dye to save my life

Yeah, there’s no real science to dying these things. Just have to look up as much info others have provided and hope for the best! That’s why I’m on the fence about even dying My Nomex one.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

As far as the flight suits go, I’d just save up for a Nomex. At the end of the day, the uniformity is worth it.

Different types of dyes will only work on certain materials. So results will vary based on the material used and dye used.

Wow thank you all for the advise I think I’ll try it and if I see one later on Ill grab it. My rothco looks more tan then the pissy yellow I’ve heard about, is this a newer or older version or does it not matter and just bleach it out? Also ive seen alot of these dye recipies useung RIT any other brand suggestions?