A Question About Arduinos

Well, actually a few questions.

Hi, GBFans, as many of you know, I’m making several new packs, and I had been eyeing some of the many new light and sound options available. I’ve decided I want to homebrew my next kit for my new personal pack, and I was suggested to look into Arduino technology.

I’ll tell you some of what I want to be able to do, and ask what is recommended, based on what I’ve researched so far. Here goes.

I would like to have two sound sets; GB1 stream sounds, and GB2 stream sounds (mainly that startup-fire combo), that can be alternated between with a switch. The fire and release would work the same, the sounds played would simply differ.

I want to have my standard volume control, which is easy - that’s gonna be a simple wiring to whatever amp I use.

However I WOULD like to be able to have a dial for speed control of cyclo/power cell/bar graph oscillation rate, and I know that’s a matter of programming code. Same with the desire for fading cyclo lights, like TVG. I don’t really need overheat feature, though I would like the simple vent and reset sounds on a rotary switch.

Anyone here with ARDUINO experience got any recommendations on how to proceed? The Uno or the Mega? Let me know!

If you’re doing arduino sounds I’d recommend the wavshield. As far as the actual arduino goes I use sparkfun’s pro minis but they’re just the chip. If you want breakout pins then a more “standard” shield style board will do you fine.

It all depends if you want the Arduino to be more of a “time keeper/coordinator” or if you want it to do more sophisticated operations. Like Jack said, we usually use sparkfun pro-micros or pro-minis to coordinate other analog circuits. Most of the time, if you’re just making single colored LEDs blink in a series of some sort, that’s all you need. This type of set up would be very hardware driven.

If you are more inclined to wire all you LEDs directly to the Arduino and control everything via code, then I’d say go for one of the bigger Arduinos, such as the Arduino Uno, Due, or Mega. Alot of these also have Shields that can expand their functionality. Your decision should also rely heavily on your skill set: are you good at programming in C++? Because the Arduino language is very similar. Or are you more at home with using IC and perforated boards and pretending its the 1980’s? Depending on which thing you think you are better at would also lead you in your decision making as to which type of set up you should go for.

Jack and Matt - You’re the men. Thanks, boys. I appreciate the feedback.

Prior to posting the initial query here, I’d been researching these boards for some time, and asking around/talking with some of the members in chat. Weighing the Uno and Mega, I’m definitely leaning more towards the Arduino Mega (more pins/outputs) + Rugged Audio Shield (for sound), and having all operations reliant as much on coding as possible so I can keep module number to a minimum. I’m not afraid to learn C++ code, and prefer to do coding actually, since it can be modified simply by editing said code, versus hardware switch-outs. I already know Actionscript in Flash, and while I understand it’s different, it’s also similar in the “if/then” manner of speaking.

I know that all the features of the normal pack and gun functions will have to be programmed as well, and I’m not scared of the task. However, I forgot to mention, will I definitely need other modules to add to this Arduino+audio shield for the 12-volt outputs for things like motor vibrations or flickering car LED bulb for the barrel? (Yeah, I wanna go all out on this one, sue me.) When it comes to things like 12v output, I see lots of options online, but really don’t know where to start, or what’s absolutely needed for what I am trying to accomplish. I heard about “step-up” voltage kits.

Speaking of modules… what do you think of this? Would it be needed for ultimately powering everything with a blue brick?

As always, your feedback, guidance and direction is ever appreciated.