Building Irricanian's resin Trap kit.

I’d be interested in seeing how that light functions as well.

Whats your issue with attaching the wheels?

You guys did really well on that kit, and awesome job Colin for offering such a great trap kit looks like ill have to be investing in one of them not to far down the line hope you still will be offering them.

Chris

Sean…like those Maplin LEDs, only problem I see is extending the wires from the circuit board to allow the LEDs to sit in the forward indicator compartment?

If I get time I’ll show you what I’ve used ;0)

Keith

Aye, I really hope it does work! Can’t think of what else to do at the moment. Regarding the wheels, I don’t have the Robertson screwdriver, so will need to purchase one off eBay as they seem to be somewhat unavailable in the UK :frowning:

Cheers Keith, unfortuntly they were out of stock so I had to put an order in for one so should get it early next week. Curiously what kind of problems do you think you would get by extending the LEDs with wire?

Will have to let you know how the kit goes, but would still be interested as to what you have done :smiley:

Regarding the progress of the trap, haven’t been able to get much done so far. Ended up going to the cinema yesterday and tonight (Zombieland is awesome by the way!), however I figured the light out so that just needs to be soldered together. Apart from that the whole outer shell is pretty much assembled apart from the base and wheels. Once I get those attached that section will be ready for some glue and filler! I am also going to try and drill the holes out for the front plate knobs tomorrow lunchtime too.

Thanks all for viewing

Sean

I don’t understand what your problem adding wheels is. I used roller blade bearings, and just used wood screws to mount them on square wood axels. I have some pics in the thread listed in my sig.

Sorry to confuse you! Basically the kit I got from Irricanian has skate bearings but instead of wood screws he included some other type of screw with a square head.

image

I’m going to have a route through the screws I have and see what I can do, if not i’ll just get one of them screwdrivers :slight_smile:

Hope this clears up some of the confusion!

Sean

Ah.. those are uncommon here as well. Look for them in car tool locations, and recreational vehicle locations.

Or just replace them with some wood screws the same size.. :wink:

Is it really that hard to find a #2 Robertson screwdriver where you are? Use a slotted driver that will fit corner to corner in the square. Most screwdriver/multidriver kits have Robertson heads in them. It’s not like you have to torque it down.

Too much geekiness in that pic my man,I love it!

LOL. The toys on the floor are my daughter’s.

Actually now that you mention it, I got a few in one of those VERY cheap 50 piece accessory sets. They are crap metal and don’t last long, but as in this case, I didn’t need what I was getting the set for for more then just that one specific task.. the rest rusted, were lost, or just tossed away over time.

Maybe look for one of those cheap sets for them, instead of speanding a lot for a quality long term tool?

I find it odd that Robertson screwdrivers are hard to find. In Canada, they are EVERYWHERE.

You may want to also ask for a “square drive screwdriver”, if people are not familiar with the Robertson name. :cool:

I had actually never even seen one until I was about 43, and needed one for my mom’s van.

Yeah, I’ve gotten several in bit sets for my power drill over the years, so I was good to go.

exactly what I did when I ran into this problem, or any allen type screw either

any updates on the original trap build? Curious to see it all done.

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the complete lack of replies! Unfortunatly the motherboard or CPU on my PC died last Friday so haven’t been able to use my home PC and haven’t had time at lunch during work. On the plus side I should be up and running with my new PC come Sunday/Monday! :smiley:

Anyways onto the trap!

Progress is slowly coming along, I have glued the outershell together. During this I managed to put a crack in the handle somewhat, but a little bit of glue should have sorted that out.

Whilst I was putting a screw in one of the doors it managed to break off whilst the thread was still lodged in the door, so I have had to cut it out and fill it in. Will be sanding down and rescrewing it soon.

The main bulk of the work I have been putting in is with getting the electronics sorted. I got the kit from Maplin and have soldered the majority of it together. I am slightly deviating with the kit a bit so it will fit in the trap (nothing major, just connecting the LEDs to wires instead of on the board. Unfortunatly I can only really do this on my lunchbreak as one of the guys at work is giving me a hand with it.

So as I have mentioned before progress is a bit slow, and not having many funds is also making things somewhat slower!

Once my new PC is ready and I have the electronics done I will be sure to post a video/pics of some kind.

Cheers for all the great comments so far! The project as most definatly not died just passing by at a slow rate.

Sean

Sounds like it’s coming along then. Can’t wait to see it all finished!

The robertson screw is Canada’s invention. Invented by a guy named Robertson. It’s probably the best type of screw you can find - but you need the proper screwdriver to deal with them. And in Canada they are abundant. I think the Roberston was invented in 1908.

here’s a link to the info on the Robertson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver

Sean…any updates mate?

Keith