could it really be?

In this topic I want to discuss the possibilities that this reboot can be a sort of sequel.

What are your thoughts?

Some toys shows Slimer…a Slimer really equal to the Slimer we know.

I recently posted a screenshot of a Gb reboot related article whose author claims to have heard about the cameos being shot as new characters and as the OGB.

Now on reddit a guy claims to have see three different trailers, one of them explain where are the Ghostbusters now and put the movie as a sequel.

I mean, many rumors from different sources are starting to suggest that Gb16 is not entirely a reboot.

Could it be?

I always speculated from the beginning that Sony could be playing the biggest troll right now with the whole “not a sequel” propaganda, dragging Feig along for the ride, and then totally flipping it in the end with an epic ending… But we have no solid proof of it, and if it is true, I feel sorry for Feig for taking all of those attacks while hiding the biggest secret of the last 2 years…

It wasn’t misdirection. Sony never expected anyone to see those emails. They did desperate reshoots when it turned out horribly and are weighing the possibility of framing it as a sequel to win over a larger audience. It’s not a bad calculation, but it’s still a patch job and they don’t deserve credit for a long-term plan on this one.

You also have to take into fact that those emails are old, patch work or not, the production and planning of a movie ALWAYS changes from the initial concept…

One of the major problems was Bill not wanting to star in a GBflick anymore, so if that somehow was solved during the making of this movie that would be marvellous.

I don’t object to it being a reboot, but if it’s a sequel that would be great as well. I just don’t have my hopes up yet.

That has always been my hope since the reboot announcement. :wink:

Wow that is awesome, I thought maybe it was just one of my fanboy pipe dreams. It is nice to know that there are others that shared the same speculation. At this point if this movie turned out to be a sequel in disguise that would be the biggest surprise to be revealed from this movie. I would feel terrible for all the hate that Feig has received too, especially if he was keeping this a secret the WHOLE time. Like others here I DO wonder if this turns out to be true, was this the plan all along, or was this Studio Interference? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

This movie was being shot as a reboot only until very late in the game when the “it sucks!” panic set in, and still is most likely going to be released as a reboot.

Not completely impossible, granted… though we don’t have enough to work with still this far away from the release.

I’ve always felt it a bit of wishful thinking pipe dreaming, but, well, strange things do happen, and we do live interesting times.

I’ve suspected that might be the case for a while… it’s just too early to say.

As you pointed out, Slimer is clearly back.

We saw stills from the crew’s visit to the firehouse… and someone obviously went to some trouble to retrofit the doors so it’d look like the did back in the '80s. That could be a stylistic touch, but it seemed like a lot of trouble to go to on a tight deadline when continuity wasn’t critical. How many average moviegoers will notice the difference between a roll-up door and the classic hinged barn doors?

We haven’t really seen photos of the cameos. Sure, we’ve seen Ernie stepping out of a hearse. But that doesn’t tell us much. I doubt that was set up as a red herring… but scenes get cut from films all the time. If we saw more pics with Dan as a cabbie and Bill as a bureaucrat, we’d have more to go on.

The hacks gave the studio a chance to screen their ideas and gauge public interest. I’d be surprised if the internet feedback was ignored in it’s entirety. If you have, say, an e-mail account that gets hacked into… you’d probably change your password. Likewise, I suspect Sony would change some of their plan once it was out in the open. They’re in a competitive business, and having the broad details of the film sitting out on the internet for a year in advance wouldn’t help ticket sales.

Finally, having the original crew appear as Ghostbusters in a full length film at their current ages might be a shaky bet for a longterm franchise that turns kids into lifelong customers (look at how lucrative and dependable Star Wars has been). It’d satisfy the older fans, but they likely wouldn’t mint too many new ones. Having the original crew appear in cameo only has clearly proven to be more upsetting than satisfying to the current fanbase. Sony wants to make money. I’ve argued before that the amount of money they’d lose to disgruntles fans is negligible, and I still suspect that’s the case… but they want to turn a tidy profit. reboots these days are in the fanservice department.

If they bring the guys back, limit their screentime and pass the torch, they hit all of the key demos. It’d just make sense to bring them back, and Sony is probably ultra paranoid about leaks after the biggest data breach in Hollywood history. Of course they’d play this sort of thing close to the chest IF they did it.

So… it’s possible there’s a fair amount of misdirection. But who can say what they’re doing and back it up with evidence?

I’d like to think that my hypothesis is sound, but I’m employing a ton of motivated reasoning. This film could just as easily be rolling with all of those early concepts we saw just to make sure it hits the deadline. Rewrites take time, and bigger parts for veteran actors take a lot of negotiating. The simplest path for the studio to take would be to do just what the widespread percepction is – cut ties with the original and keep the original cast in the film as Stan Lee walk-ons.

We’ll see. :slight_smile:

There’s an interview out there somewhere after they revealed that he had a cameo in the movie where he said that he feels bad for all of that and regrets it…

If it turns out to be a sequel, what’s the bet we see the sad remains of Ecto 1a (hence her being hidden) with a line something like “we can’t use that!”, so Winston cues up the '84 hearse.

I hope this is a sequel, it’s all I’ve asked of it, the soft reboot rather than hard.

Ghosts from our past, both literally and figuratively.

What if: Wiig and Melissa were both teenage girls during the Gozer and Vigo affairs. That inspired them to study the paranormal. The OGB went undercover and vanished, assuming fake identities.

Then something started happening and Gilbert with Yates sets up the Ghostbusters remembering the originals.

Or, parallel reality card.

I thought the same scenario as well… Do people remember the GB truck roaming around? What’s not to say that they filmed a lot of the movie behind closed doors… The new Cloverfield movie went by almost completely undetected until the first trailer just came out only a mere couple of weeks before the movie premieres…

I’m gonna wait until the trailer before I gonna jump on this bandwagon.

How is this a bandwagon…? We’re having a polite discussion and are finding we had similar opinions…

I’m sorry, is jumping on the bandwagon a negative remark? I’m Dutch so English is not my native language. No disrespect was intended.

All I meant to say is I’m gonna wait just a little longer as the trailer could make a lot more clear and provide much more solid proof if anything is changed.

I’ll be hoping until after the credits on the 15th for this to be a sequel, parallell univers or anything that passes on the torch to a new team and not dismissing GB past.

That’s what makes me most excited for the new movie. And seeing all the original movie merch we’re getting I’ll continiue to spread the word about the new movie and hopefully get people to the cinema to see it…

The more I see Slimer the more I’m thinking that he could be the link between past and future or Gb84 universe and Gb16 universe.

After all, if this is an hard reboot…why he have to be green and short and fat? Why there has to be a Slimer?

It’s clear that the trailer delay is a sign that Sony is being very careful with how this film is going to be marketed. Frankly, if there is a connection to the original universe, I’d hate to see that revealed in a trailer. Unfortunately I think that Sony might be desperate for a positive reaction and will just unveil way too much, connection or not.

Brand recognition honestly.