Ecto89 - It's Done!

What else do you do when you get a free 1989 white Buick Century Estate station wagon with roofrack? Ta da! :

image

:shock:

That looks great , good job

I’m liking that!

Darrin

Looks excellent!

But I will take off the fins. It makes it looks like a wannabe Cadillac.

Otherwise, it looks cool! :slight_smile:

im gonna have to agree. but other than that, that thing is totally bitchin’

:shock: That looks awesome!!! Great job!!! :shock:

That was probably the point.

blinks

Whoa. Did… you borrow my designs or did I borrow yours? You and I have some of the exact same parts on our racks.

Also, where are you locatedthat you can have blue lights? HIGHLY unfair!

Other than that, the fins actually blend with the body quite well, far better than others.

That is freaking awesome. As soon as I get my new car, let’s race 'em!

Trust me… it needs the fins to good good. Plus they cover a little body damage :slight_smile:

Really? Where is the thread on your car? Did you raid Home Depot like me? Blue lights? It helps when you make friends with the local cops :slight_smile: Technically the round ones arent lights since they dont work at the moment, and the police said my blue lightbar was fine since its not highly reflective and wont be ran while driving.

There is mine. I posted our roll-out with a post titled “Ectomobile Replica” or something.

The design similarities are your attaching PVC frames to your white box, you have the silver drain guard that we put on the front of the car as our “siren” and it looks like you used a project box for your binocs?

It looks like your bullhorn is a radio shack speaker, am I right? We bought one of those and it was super quiet, couldn’t get any real sound out of it.

Do you have any instant messengers, you oughta IM me at zmantis9000 on yahoo and aim.

Hmmm… which part is the “binocs”? Yup, its a Radio Shack speaker. Mine works really good and hurts it gets so loud only 8 clicks on the volume.

The ‘binocs’ are what we call the red tubes on top of the car… they are supposedly called “TV Antennas” but that was too much to say when all we wanted to say was “give me a screw for the red thing,” or “I need to completely rebuild the red thing”.

Dammit, the speaker we got didn’t work at all so we returned it. We eventually just grabbed some computer speakers and put them on top. Late on we’ll cut open the rack and put an amp and some serious speakers in there.

Of the detailing on your car, which are graphics and which are painted on?

Awesome car! Absolutely awesome!!! Quick tip, add a satellite dish too. It’ll make it even more awesome.

I repained the hood white with Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Paint, along with all the red. All with a roller (and it doesnt water spot either)! I repainted all the black on the car with a rattle can. Inbetween the red and white I added chrome stripping. The yellow/red tubes on the sides of the car were black pvc that I rattlecanned and capped the ends off.

The logos are layered 7-year vinyl and the yellow/black stripes are warning tape. All the lettering is vinyl. All the other decals I made myself wth my color laser printer and permanent clear decal paper that I backed with 7-year vinyl.

On the car, in one of the pics, is a toilet paper holder. If you can find it… :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like he is going for the look of the original, whereas I went for a fanfic of the ecto-1 and the ecto-1a.

The only thing I see it missing is the second lightbar.

But it is a bitch to find inexpensive lightbars, let alone two identical lightbars cheaply…

I say it is badass as is.

Well… actually… I have access to 2 more of the blue bars. They would of course all be matching, but I dont have the money for them and if I mount them on the back of the car where they should be or where they would fit, the trunk door wont open; which is where the pack lays lit-up by the dome lights when Im not wearing it. I found this laying in the ditch last weekend. I have no idea how to mount the thing though. I cant find any tubing that will fit into the bracket and I really dont want to spend $65 at the local dealer:

VERY nice work, my friend! I personally like the fins. When I get around to modifying my Taurus wagon (which might be another TEN years or so …) I was thinking about doing fins, also.

yeah, the hatch on my Outback actually has a small fin, and that shortened the overall length of the roofrack design by almost a foot. That is why we went with the 1A design, raising the rear lightbar enough for the hatch to open, and we filled the unused space by putting a “tank” under the lightbar.

That would be my recommendation, simply because of how cool stacked lightbars look from the front WEEE!

As for the satellite dish, I bought mine on eBay for $20 plus like $15 shipping. The one I got is sorta weird, the dish is wider than it is tall, and it has a tri-reciever on it’s arm. This, of course, just leant itself to the high-techy look. With the dish you’ll get the mounting arm and it’s foot bracket which, if you have the space, is super easy to mount securely.

I mean, we’ve gotten my ecto up to 95mph with the sucker on!

The problem with adding the dish is that you will have a lot of space around it that you will have to ‘fill in’. The binocs work great for that, but you’d probably have to drastically shorten them.

Good luck on furthering your mod, you oughta shoot me your instant messenger name, I’d love to compare notes with you!

-Kevin

zmantis9000

Still a bit confused on what the “binocs” are…