Exoray kit....battery question

I think I already know the answer, but…

I recently completed my husband’s pack using a HeavyProps light kit. Now I’m on to upgrading my pack, doing things like new paint, replacing the wood motherboard with aluminum, new labels, etc… basically, some things that I didn’t have the ability or equipment to do back in 2009 when I built this. This old pack has an Exoray ‘economy’ pack and wand light kit, and it works and looks great still. However, it runs on a brick of C batteries, where my husband’s pack takes one lonely 9V.

Does anyone know the minimum battery voltage/quantity/type i can run the exoray kit on? IU am trying to save a little in weight.

Thanks,

Karma

Take the number of c cells you have and multiply by 1.5. The you have the voltage of that brick.

Thanks…but does the difference in amperage an issue?

For example, I have a brick of 6 Cs… = 9V total, right? But each C battery holds round 8000 milliamps… the 9V only 565 milliamps. Would a 9V just result in a shorter run life than the brick?

-K

The 9V would indeed run for less time as its cumulative mAh is smaller than the brick of C cells. If weight is a concern and you want maximum performance, consider swapping to a Lithium Polymer battery, or a LIthium Ion. The Li-Po is the lightest out of the batteries, but they do tend to get expensive.

And some of them sold on ebay are junk. I got.one of the black bricks that is supposed to be 12v 6800mah… It won’t start the pack even once.. So until I find one that works, I’m using one from my Ridgid cordless drill. Works perfectly…

Thanks everyone.

I plugged in a new 9V just on the wand, it ran for a continuous 2 hours and then I had to go to bed and I turned it off. The battery itself was very warm though. Not enough that I couldn’t pick it up, but enough to make me go hmmmmmmmm…

-Karma