Fire House sign.

Off topic, I am sorry, but one thought that always comes to my mind when I watch GB1 is illustrated on the fire house pictures above, when the Containment is shut down and the ghosts escape: Why does the fire house look GREEN?

On-topic:

Looking great! It would look so good hanging from the wall, lighted from the inside.

I’ve been following this build for a while now, and must say I am VERY impressed!

It’s really starting to come together. :crunch:

Probably the result of it being a F/X shot.

That sign is looking very good!

Here is one of the first pulls in clear with a white background, obviously when the colours are added this will make it stand out and come alive. Quite pleased so far ! :smiley:

That looks really good so far!

Can’t wait to see the finished version.

Alex

That looks awesome without the Paint. :nicejobyoudid:

Being that it’s a Clear pull, are you going to “Reverse Paint” it from the inside?

Yes I am going to reverse paint it, because I think that is how the original was done and it achieves a even gloss and protects it from the elements.

How do you paint it so it doesn’t show that it was painted and the paint is uneven?

Does that make sense? I forgot how to brain today…

It is time consuming but what I will do is mask everything except the black bits and spray paint black then reveal the red bits and spray everything red, it doesn’t matter if the red goes on the black. Then remove all masking tape then spray everything white, overspray on the red or black does t matter. I personally would not try to brush paint because I cannot do it but I have seen people paint glass and do a fantastic job (no brush marks etc).

Oh that makes sense. I was thinking brushes.

I know we’re past the sculpting stage, but just for the sake of collecting all the reference pics in one thread, here’s something from the GB Storybook by Anne Digby:

Alex

Hey gbfhs your sign is turning out awesome I cant wait to see more updates and the finished product, great job man :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this will help, but it’s cool having all of the sign reference in one place.

This is a quickie iphone shot. I really need to scan the whole image. From a GB2 scene that was cut down for the montage…

I remember reading that there was a false wall built inside H&L8 to make it look like the LA23 interior. This might be the best shot of that. Thanks for posting!

Yes, please scan that, but wow what a heart-breaking image. Did they really do that to the original prop from the first film, only to leave the shot out of the film entirely?

Good catch on the false wall. Never thought about that.

Alex

Facinating photo Derek! I vaguely recall a script description of the abused sign, where it would’ve appeared shortly before some of the Ghostbusters entered the wrecked Firehouse and viewed the destroyed Containment Unit… prior to “We’re back!”

That shot gives a good idea of the scale of the sign… it’s huge!

Seeing as how they stored the Ectos, I’d be willing to bet that they didn’t have to do much distressing to the Sign. What’s more likely is they found it in a corner and said, “Hey this looks like it’s been through an explosion. Let’s use it.” and made the shot.

Just my opinion.

Like Kingpin mentioned, it was actually written that way in the script.

I scanned a few shots and posted them in the press photo thread. I’m not sure if the shots will help with the sign project–hopefully so. Great progress, gbfhs!

I have started the paint process and i have learnt a few thing along the way, i found that if i used a white board marker i can outline on the front surface then flip it over and trace on the back, this makes it a lot easier and if you make a mistake on the front you can simply wipe it off before you flip it over and trace. i have decided for the black colour i am using a permanent marker pen, it just seems easier than masking off all those curves especially the eyes etc. Here are a few shots of the progress on different surfaces.

Looking great ! Are you also going to give it a once over with some Black Paint? Marker on Plastic, even the permanent kind, can leave streaks and light spots.