Kingpin's Ghost Sniffer - April 23rd

Sniffer, Model 303, Baby! :slight_smile:

I picked this little number up for $16.49 (although I got hit on the shipping, but it’s worth it).

From the original picture, it did look a bit of a wreck, the larger ones I was sent after asking for more showed it to be not as bad, but in the state it appeared to be, I didn’t want to spend too much in the possibility it may not be salvageable.

Eventually I won it (few other bidders, guess the look of it worked in my favour) and so began the shipping process that took just over a week, and what do I find when I get home today, but a nice big parcel in my front hall!

Now as it happened, whilst it was en-route I’d purchased a Sphygmomanometer for $12.91:

The bulb’s as good as any other, but looks like it could be close to the design as seen in the movie. The tubing is less accurate, as the one that connects the bulb to the Sniffer was yellow… however this is something I may change at a later date… or not bother with at all.

Ever wanted to know what was on the inside of a Bacharach Sniffer?

Electronics, lots and lots of electronics! And all covered to some degree in grime, and quite possibly long-dried battery acid, thanks to the four D cells that were left inside for God only knows how long.

Also included was a long, rubber-ended probe:

Initially I considered asking the seller not to send it, just the Sniffer and the rubber tubes as I didn’t think it would be of any use…

boy am I glad I didn’t make that request. Upon dismantling the probe I found a thinner mental inner tube within the larger one, which looked to be about the right size for the one Murray had. Not sure if it is, but seeing as I got it free gratis, I’m not going to complain. The thicker tube also had two plastic end caps which might just work for a handle. I’ll see how it looks as I spent some time with it this weekend, and maybe also get a trip out to B&Q.

And finally, most of the collected components in one sitting:

The Sniffer cleaned up a real treat, thanks to Mr. Muscle. Whilst there are marks of use, the most significant on the stickers, it’s overall in good condition… although I have no idea if it works.

Sadly it was missing its shoulder strap which was unfortunate, but after a half hour of struggling to get the seized bolts undone I was finally able to get access to the plastic loops for the strap and feed in some old shoulder strap ajusters from a dead rucksack. They fit like a dream.

Now I just have to wait for my Mum to sew it together.

In matters concerning sewing, I am not afraid to say my mother is more skilled than I.

I will update once the strap is done, and to cover any progress made on rigging up the rubber components and probe.

Additionally, because the lack of decent info halted my attempt to build a replica Sniffer (which in some ways wound up being beneficial), I will eventually be uploading elevation illustrations with measurements for people to use to build their own Sniffer replicas.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sniffing…stuff.

“Well, are you sure you’re using that thing correctly?”

The sniffer looks great! I never thought about the plethora of electronics that it would hold.

After your “Mum” does her work, keep us posted!

Ask and ye shall receive:

Things have progressed a lot quicker than anticipated thanks to my Mum having some good light to do the sewing in this afternoon (usually she prefers morning light):

With the strap finished, I was able to continue work on the Sniffer, concentrating now on the accessories. Note: I took more photos then can be found here, but unfortunately the contrast is so bad there’s little worth in posting them.

Starting with the probe, I took the strip of rubber hosing that connected the probe to the Sniffer and cut off the brass connectors at each end. Eventually managing to strip off most of the remaining plastic, I fed one of the black tubes of the Sphygmomanometer over the barbed end of the connector and the other over one of (what I can only conclude) was a Clippard threaded barb, and screwed it into the base of a white plastic filtering cylinder. I then screwed the probe rod into the opposite end of the filtering cylinder, and the majority of the probe was now assembled.

Unfortunately, unlike the rubber (not plastic, as it turned out) end that was fed over the probe rod, the other end from the thick outer tube wasn’t as tightly held on without a rod running through it, so I had to imrovise. With humble blutac.

Filling a small recessed ring in one end of the cylinder with blutac, I fed the rubber tube end along the hose and pressed it firmy into the tac, fitting rather nicely and sturdily.

The next step proved a bit more difficult. I was able to assemble most of the squeeze bulb portion of the sniffer… but I didn’t have a barb small enough to fit it into the lower socket of the Sniffer. Eventually my mum produced a screw which was small enough to fit into the socket, and appears to hold the squeeze bulb hose in without it falling out… but it is my intent to eventually try replace this part with something more accurate and reliable.

So now, I have a Ghost Sniffer. My first, proper finished prop. :slight_smile: As you can imagine I’m experiencing a bit of a high from finishing it. I still can’t believe I was actually able to make a “good enough” probe from parts that came with the Sniffer in the auction.

One of these days I’ll be freshly shaved in one of these photographs.

And as a happy little final point, I wind up having a extra clippard barb for my Pack when the time to assemble that comes.

I’ve taken the elevation shots, and will be working on those plans over the next week at some point.

Awesome work Ben.

Really great pics there Kingpin. Had no idea at all there was a trigger on the bottom of the sniffer’s top handle. Interesting.

It makes this really nice metallic “clunk” when it’s pressed. :slight_smile:

You have to hold it down when you use it to take a reading. Murray never did that in the movie as I recall. Using that bladder will kill your arm after awhile.

Heh, all part of the process. :slight_smile: It’s quite fortunate it had a release valve, because I had to use a screw for the bulb the tube is blocked and it quickly fills with air, but leaving the valve open means I can pump it as much as needed, and it has its own non-battery powered sound effect.

looks fantastic Ben, right out the film. an iconic prop and at a great price too :crunch:

Fantastic!

Are these things pretty readily available, or rare items?

nice teeshirt ben

and cool sniffer :-p

They’re certainly not as common as some of the other Bacharach products… I think in the last five or so years I may have only seen as many as four of them, if even that. It’s also even more difficult to find the exact model used in the first film, which is supposedly the 301 model.

Heh, that’d be my American Bald Eagle shirt if I’m not mistaken.

Call me a little naive, but I’d never expect that thing to run on regular D-Cells :lol: Looks alot more complicated than it really is, anyways it looks awesome!

I have the accurate 301 Sniffer…here’s some pictures of it for the time being. I haven’t gotten around to take measurements of things or getting closeups of the decals, but the decals are metallic, and won’t take well to my digital camera which is an older camera and sucks…the flash obscures most of the decals.

Here’s a picture of the decal on the bottom of the sniffer:

If you look at the pictures of the 301, you’ll see that the one decal on the sides says “United Technologies Bacharach”, which is the same as the sniffer in the movie. The 302 and 303 had a decal in the same place that just said “Bacharach” in a larger font.

I have yet to make a handpump attachment, but hopefully I’ll get it done over the summer.

SabaSka109, you should have brought that thing to the screening the other night . . . you could have poked someone’s eye out with the brass rod!

As for the hand pump, you could use what kingpin used (which looks really nice and professional) or from what I understand, a hand pump that is usually supplied with gas cans is pretty accurate as well. They have the bulb and the yellow-rubber tubing as seen in the movie. I know my dad has one of those handpumps but would never give it up since I’m pretty sure he’s had it since the 80’s . . .

Funny, I’ve been looking for that exact gas can handpump you’re talking about!

I have a thread on our team captain’s here: Bacharach Sniffer Model 302 Reference Pics - Other Props - GBFans.com

Figured I’d post a few pics from that thread here just for comparison.

His is a still working 302 model.

Thanks for those great photos. :slight_smile: Once again thank you for posting them up in your gallery.

A small update on the project: I’ve found a eBay member who is currently listing one of the real Bacharach probes like the one in photos above (although like all others I’ve seen, it’s shorter and silver than the one in the movie). He’s currently listing it for a total of about $70 including P&P to the UK, and I’ve made him a “Best Offer” as he had that option, in the hope of maybe knocking $10 off of it… I feel that £40 is a bit too pricey seeing as it’s only one part of a larger piece of equipment, and I’m not convinced that the postage and packaging is accurate.

However I am more willing to pay £30, as that breaks down as being (in my mind) £20 for the postage and packaging and £10 for the probe. I’ll update on how things develop.