"... Let There Be Light ..."

And it was good!

I got my lights from Exoray last week and I’ve finished installing them in my proton pack folks! Check it out:

I got four flashlights from the dollar store to use the reflectors in the Cyclotron

This is the Cyclotron before the lights.

Here is the Power Cell before the lights

I had to remove the ALICE backpack frame to install the lights.

This is the back of the pack without the frame. You can see inside the Cyclotron where the lights will go.

This is my cat Celie who was not helping me.

The Cyclotron lights installed with the reflectors glued to the plastic lenses and the lights cellotaped into the reflectors. Low tech, yes, but effective.

The Power Cell lights installed with some thin bolts.

The main circuit board for the whole lighting system. This was taken from inside the Cyclotron

And here’s the board from the outside of the pack.

And now videos!

Here are the installed Power Cell and Cyclotron lights before I put everything back together.

image

And here it is all back in one piece! (minus the gun, I need to put that back on)

image

Nice man! I had the same idea with the cheap flashlight reflectors, but I haven’t done it because… well, no pack and girlfriend is limiting my spending at the moment :-p And you’re watching Heroes too! Yay!

-Tyler

its a cold and a broken what? lol love that song

What? What’s cold and broken? I don’t get it …

ANyway, thanks for the comments, guys! I’ll be attending a costume contest party tonight. Wish me luck!

That looks freakin’ awesome!! Great job! I’ve lights in my pack, but nothing like Exoray’s kit! I was pretty satisfied with them, (my buddy built the pack) but then I see yours… I must admit to not much experience with lights and such. Was it difficult to install them?

Not too difficult to install. I just had to figure out where and how to install all the parts. I didn’t find any step-by-step instructions anywhere, but then again I didn’t look very hard.

Also everyone’s pack is different so a step by step isn’t really feasible in any case. I just looked at my pack and tested the wire lengths so that I could decide where everything would fit best. I don’t really have the know-how or tools to lengthen the wires. ^.^ But everything worked out just fine.

The only thing that had me scratching my head was how to set the Power Cell lights. At first I tried gluing the board to the inside wall of the power cell … but since it was on its side, the board wobbled anyway. I knew there were preset holes in the board to afix it, but I didn’t really want to bother with rigging something up inside to use those. But after the glue failed, I decided to just get those thin bolts from WalMart. They’re #6-32 x 1-1/2" and they fit through the holes in the board perfectly.

You can also try standoff’s. You can get them at radio shack. Thats what I used.

Cats are lazy… get a dog. They know electronics. :lol: