so last night i was browsing around my local books-a-milion store when i found 2 ghostbusters graphic novels..
-
IDW’s ghostbusters: the other side
-
a japanese manga called ghostbusters: Ghost Busted
i’ve only started reading the otherside, but have yet to get started on the second book.
The Other Side is mediocre at best. The story sets itself up to fail and the art falls apart 3 pages into the first issue.
The manga is definitely the better of the 2. Manga style isn’t for everyone, but the story telling is FAR superior to The Other Side. Really the only story that has a quirky art style is the first one. It also has a story that doesn’t really go with the rest of the book’s storyline, but I enjoyed it. Look at it as the short and silly cartoon before the real movie.
The main story is great and has ties to both GB1 and GB 2. The last story in the book is the best of them all though. Again, no obvious attatchment to the main story, but the art is some of the best seen in a GB comic period, and the storytelling is right up there with some of the best RGB episodes, while still having a movie based story.
All in all, this is just my review. You may like TOS more than the manga. I just figured I’d give my 2 cents.
I thought the manga turned out suprisingly good as well, especially next to IDW’s clunker The Other Side. As JackIvy said, the art style isn’t for everyone, and even though it varies from story to story, it’s still pretty solid. The biggest difference for me is the writing. The impression I got while reading TOS is that the writer really just didn’t have a lot of knowledge about the property, or any interest in trying to make it connect with people familiar with that property. Conversely, Ghostbusted had some cool nods to the films, and even brings up some neat elements and questions I’ve always had (I personally dug Egon’s old professor asking him what the ghosts feel when being trapped). You should definitely read both, and let everyone know what you think!
well so far i’m 3/4 the way through with The other side, and i really like it.
the art is great and to me it’s more about plot over actual art style.
i did read the first 2 chapters of ghostbusted, and looking at the manga art style is kinda like pulling teeth.
the manga is not really for me, but i wanted to try it out anyways…
I suggest Ghostbusters: Ghost Busted manga than The Other Side. It has more art, more story, and more entertainment value than the latter. Plus the reread value is high as well.
Yeah, I enjoyed the hell out of the Ghost Busted manga. The awesomest part is with Winston late in the book(those who’ve read it know what I mean). The Otherside was a let down. As a Egon/Ray fan, I get tired of Venkman taking center stage. That’s why Legion was so much better. It was a Ray story.
as a follow up,
i have made it halfway through the ghostbusted manga, so far i’m pleased with the plot and dialogue but i just can not get used to the art style in some chapters. it’s just a little too outthere visually for me.
the trade paperback of the otherside i prefer, i thought it was a great story.