I’d say my favorite is Egon, although Ray comes in a very close second.
I used to like Ray best because of the obvious reason that he is the heart of the Ghostbusters and has a child-like attitude towards ghostbusting, making his love for his work genuine. However, even more so after watching The Real Ghostbusters, I came to really like Egon. I like Egon because he has the understated humor to him, even when trying to be dead serious and scientific about things. I think I always had a little something for movies Egon because, for some reason that’s always more or less that type of guy I go for. Not in looks but in that, he is the more off-beat one of the four. And that just kinda grew exponentially while watching the cartoon, especially with the whole him and Janine subplot .
Wow, that last sentenced just made me sound very girly…
Peter has always been my favorite. Bill Murray just seems to bring that character to life for me. Winston is a close 2nd. Its funny how different they are but i like them nearly the same. Ill say ths as well, I would die to look as good as Hudson does at his age. Except for the little gray he has, he looks better now than he did back then, but you have to wonder if surgery played a role there. He doesnt look like he has though. He looks like he can open a can on ya. Egon and ray are awsome as well, I just hold those 2 a little higher. In short, Iove the whole freaking team!
I admit, if I’d only seen the movies, I’d probably pick Venkman. Bill Murray so completely dominated them that they’re practically “The Adventures of Peter Venkman and His Ghostbuster Pals”. But due to the animated series, the interesting twists brought to the character by J. Micheal Straczynski and the brilliant voice performance by Maurice LaMarche, my all-around favorite is thus this guy:
He creates the first impression of your classic Mad Scientist/Nerd, but before long you start to see more. For one thing, and this was something I’d enver seen before in 1984, he gets women. A certain redhead flirting with him formed some of the most charming scenes of the first movie; in the animation he turns into a veritable Babe Magnet, with women in several episodes clearly “interested” in him (The librarian, the girl in Lupusville, Dixie, ect.) The animation slowly developed his relationship with said redhead, too, but that’s a whole other topic in and of itself…
And the other interesting thing: every once in a while his logic breaks down to interesting effect. Probably the most famous example is the “Your Mother!!!” scene in GB1, where he tries to throttle Walter Peck; or when he looks about ready to do the same to Paul Smart in “Robo Buster”…one of LaMarche’s best scenes, as Egon keeps a steady voice yet is clearly boiling over inside, uncharacteristically snide and rude.
By my personal estimation, the most complex and, well, “fascinating” of the four.
Many of my favorite things about all of these characters have to do with how they play off of one another. If I had to choose a favorite, though, it’d be Ray. I love his almost unbearable honesty, sincerity and enthusiasm. x)
I think that if it wasn’t for Ray and his child like excitement when it comes to the paranormal there would be no Ghostbusters well that and he put his house up for money. So Ray is the man and the best in my opinion but with out Egon there would be tech.