My Ghost Trap....Now FINISHED pics 12:25:09

I’ve been working on this Trap for a few months now and I’m just about to put the finishing touches to it. Made from 1/4" MDF to Sean’s plans:

My work area…my kitchen!!

I thought these “Moon Disc” type wheels would look pretty cool.

More updates to come.

Keith

VERY nice!!!

omg lookin good

VERY nice!!!

LOVE the bolt moon caps idea! LOL!

Looks very clean!

OOOoooOOO Look! Beef’s on sale!

Lol bout the beef on sale. How long has this taken you? I wanna start my own trap build soon and I was just wondering if u needed any real major tools to make it. I see u used a dremel though!

I just built two traps in October, and they took about 3 weeks all told.. figure cut that in half for one trap.

I simplified some steps, and also added freatures in the middle of our builds, so that might have taken more time.

A lot of the time, like building packs, is trips to the store picking up everything you need.

No special tools other than the Dremmell to sand a few areas, mainly used to get a better fit with the doors, I’d say clamps to hold your work whilst drying as well.

Like most things, if you have nothing else to do you could make a Trap in a week (allowing for drying times for glue and paint). However, like most, these props are made as and when we can squeeze in the odd hour or so between work/family/etc.

Keith

My original idea for the flashing front Trap LEDs was to use a rear lamp for a bike, found them at the £1 shop. They have their own little circuit board but I had to play around with them and solder bits and pieces, but they did work at first. Initially they looked okay and worked fine, but were very flimsey, then I over loaded them and blew them after all that…I’m rubbish with small electronics!!

So enter the MK2 version…Now these are much better, build by a guy who does kits for R/C vehicles. He made me up a set of 6 x 5mm LEDs that flash on and off alternately (3 on 3 off or as he calls it Wig Wag). From the 6 I used 5 x Orange LEDs for the front display, and 1 x Red LED for the battery box section. I changed the switch to a toggle and they work great…I’ll upload a vid later.

Keith

Looking great Keith! Can’t wait to see some more updates! I’m looking forward to getting some more work done on mine eventually!

Keep up the great work!!!

Outstanding Keith!

Looks like you’re having a great time with this project.

Very nice! You do very nice finish work. The surfaces look nice and smooth. I would never have guessed it was MDF if I hadnt seen the build photos..

Thanks guys…The good quality finish is one of my reasons for choosing MDF, a quick rub down with fine sand paper on the wooden surfaces, but then also a gentle run down of the painted surfaces with fine wet & dry paper inbetween coats. I don’t think you can get the same quality finish with say Plywood or Basswood…the only draw backs of MDF would be the weight, but as this is only a display prop that’s not a problem, and of course the dust when sanding. Remember to wear a dust mask when sanding or drilling MDF.

I will get a few more pics up soon.

Keith

Getting a bit closer to finishing my Trap:

Still had the older LEDs at this point:

In this pic you can see the “Moon Discs” look really nice sprayed in the same Satin Black as the Trap body

Not much to do now…Enjoy.

Keith

Looking awesome, Keith.

That wheel idea was sheer genius!

Thats looking amazing!! Ugggh I want one so badly!!

looks great! love the finish on the black paint.

This is one of the best MDF builds I’ve seen.

Thanks for your encouraging comments guys, guess I must be doing something right…lol…but honestly I’m only an amateur and just learning from others great build ups on this site.

More to come soon.

Keith

Is this your first trap build Keith?

That is one excellent looking trap, really really good work just like a pro, cant wait to see the finished product

Also love those wheels they make the trap stand out :cool: